Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I'd Love To Go Back

I've been stirring this magic notion around in my mind for almost thirty minutes now. I've thought about how I grew up watching Samantha Stephens twitch her nose and wishing with all my heart that I could do the same thing. Bewtiched had such a mystifying impact on my girlfriends and me that even when we're together today someone might reach up and wiggle her nose as a wish that something could change. No doubt Bewitched had an iconic effect on the kids of my era. Samantha introduced us to her world of witchcraft and made it seem so harmless and fun, just as Tracy has so expertly done in A Taste of Magic. Now I can't wait to read about how Alice paints her way into her own magical world in A Stroke of Magic.

And so it goes. . .

1. If you could have any magical ability, what would it be and why?


I'm going to say that the magical power I would choose above all would be to have the ability to relive any moment I wished. Whether it was a special kiss or a highly romantic evening with a magical man, the first moment I held my babies, or the day I won the drama award in high school I'd love to be able to close my eyes and conjure up those magical memories. Then when I opened my eyes I'd be right back there again.

My college roommate is in town and last night we were reminiscing about the time we met these two nerdy guys in college at a Karla Bonhoff concert. They invited us over to their apartment after the concert for a beer. (I know what you're thinking but it was totally harmless.) After the first beer the guys told us to sit back and relax on the couch because they would be performing a little impromptu skit. Their idea of funny was our idea of capital T terrible. We couldn't kick each other since we were sitting on the couch so we used our eyes and foreheads to communicate just how terrible the skit really was. When we finally made it out of their apartment we collapsed down in the grass and howled for at least thirty minutes. When we looked up to see them peering out the window and watching us, that made us laugh even harder. With tears streaming down our cheeks, and holding our stomachs, we finally stumbled back to our car. I would give anything to relive that college memory. Anything.

2. What is the very first thing you would do with your new ability?


That's easy. I would experience the joy of holding my sleeping babies in my arms all over again. As my tiny little angels lay cradled inside the crook of my left arm, I'd bend down and kiss their tiny noses, cheeks, foreheads and angelic little lips. To hear that precious little newborn giggle would melt my heart all over again. To see them reach out for me once more, like I was their whole world, would balance out these crazy teen years when boys want little to do with mom.

Now it's your turn.

We want to know how YOU would answer the above questions! Tracy is giving away FIVE signed copies of her debut release, A TASTE OF MAGIC, and out of those five winners, one will also receive a a brand new, custom created magical coffee mug.

One winner will be selected each day (Monday through Friday), and if you post today I'll put all the entries in a hat and pick my winner randomly.

Tracy will then pick one of the five winners to receive the coffee mug. All winners will be announced on Monday. Good luck and please take just a second to conjure up your best magic.

7 comments:

Lesley Livingston said...

That would be so cool! Except the entire time I would be thinking "Oh my god! I can't believe I used to wear my hair like that! Look at that outfit! Gah! Seriously? Off-the-shoulder neon??"

Anonymous said...

Lisa,
Love what you wrote. I too, as you already know, would love to be able to, "turn back the hands of time", and relive special moments in my life. I'd give anything to go back to 2007, before the ugly words; cancer, brain tumor, port, experimental chemo drugs, became house-hold words for my son and his wife as their son, Joseph, then 3 was diagnosed with that horrible agressive cancer located in his brain stem. I'd give anything to see Joseph playing with his younger sister Holly as his mom and dad looked on with such admiration in their hearts. I'd give anything to be lying in bed next to my grandson, Joseph, laughing over something silly...or running non-stop all over the house playing chase or "hide and go seek". I'd give anything to take Joseph and fly with Peter Pan to Never Never Land where no one has to grow up and there is no such thing as CANCER. Then he would still be here and we would still hear his contagious laugh.
That's what I'd love to relive...over and over and over again.
G

Jillian Cantor said...

Lisa, There are so many great things I could imagine doing with this power! And yet I might be scared to go back -- what if things weren't really as great as we sometimes make them out to be in our head?!

anonymous said...

Lisa-
Sorry, but the best power to have has to be invisibility! It's limitless. Just think of the endless possibilities of what you could do, and where you could go. The thought of being able to ge next to Paul McCartney without him knowing is mind-blowing!

Summer said...

Awww that's very sweet about your babies. I don't know, it would be cool to turn invisible at will.

Tracy Madison said...

What a beautiful post, Lisa! And yes, there are definitely moments in my life I'd love to go back to. In an instant.

And G: My heart goes out to you. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss...so very sorry.

Maureen Lipinski said...

I love this idea--and totally cracked up at your college story. My roommates and I all get together periodically and we LOVE to tell old stories.

And I'd like to relive the moment of holding my son for the first time--just not the sleepless weeks that followed! :)