Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I Will Freeze You All!

I honestly cannot believe that Tracy has another book out! As Jill said earlier, she's no longer a debut writer! The party just never seems to end around here, huh? I wonder if it's easier the second time around--less nerves, nausea and worry. Good God, I hope so. If every book launch is as stressful as the first, I'm going to be sitting in a white room with padded walls very, very soon.

Anyway, enough rambling about my own book launch nerves. Let's get down to business and talk about A STROKE OF MAGIC! I cannot wait to read this book and find out what happens to Alice. I love books that are set in the "real world" with magical elements, so I naturally loved A TASTE OF MAGIC! I think Tracy is such a talented, wonderful writer and can't wait to immerse myself in her second book.

So, without further adieu, here are my answers to this week's questions:

1. If you could have any magical ability, what would it be and why?

I had to think long and hard about this one. It took me forever to come up with something, but I finally did, thanks to an old television show that aired in the (what else?) '80s called Out of This World. It was about a girl who was half-alien and had the power to freeze time. Now, I don't wish for any alien-esque qualities, but I'd love the ability to stop time. How freaking cool would that be? You could freeze everything to get a few more hours of sleep, stop the clock right before that sippy full of grape juice hits the carpet and spend a few more days on your vacation. With my harried writer-mom lifestyle, I think a few more quiet moments would be sent from God himself. (Or, you know, aliens)

2. What is the very first thing you would do with your new ability?

As I said before, a few more hours of sleep would be divine. So, I'd freeze everyone and everything around me, lay in bed and SLEEP. My Blackberry wouldn't ping, my son couldn't scream and my cats wouldn't be headbutting my bedroom door. Just...silence. Ahhhhhhh...

Of course, I'd probably be unable to fall asleep and just lay there, thinking of my To-Do list before I finally gave up after ten minutes and unfroze everything.

I'd love to hear how our readers would answer the questions! The fabulous Tracy is giving away
FIVE signed copies of her debut release, A TASTE OF MAGIC, and out of those five winners, one will also receive a custom coffee mug! One winner will be selected each day (Monday through Friday), and that day's Novel Girl will select the winner based on any criteria they wish.

Today's winner will be the first person who comments that they remember the show Out of This World. If I'm the only person who remembers it, I'll have my son pick out the winner. (Which, in that case, the winner might be "No," seeing as how that's all he's interested in saying these days.)

Tracy will then draw one of the five names randomly, and that person will also win a custom coffee mug. All winners will be announced on Monday.

8 comments:

Tracy Madison said...

Oooh, freezing time sounds good. I don't remember the show Out of this World, but one of the sisters in Charmed could freeze time. Piper, I think? Anyway--fantastic choice, Maureen!

And to answer your question, I'm not sure launching book 2 is any easier, but it's not as stressful as book 1. Mostly because I know more about what to expect, so there's a lot less shrouded in mystery!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading the comments. I have added this book to my TBR list. It sounds like books I like to read.
JOYE
JWIsleyATaol.com

Jillian Cantor said...

Good choice. I don't remember Out of this World either, but it reminds me of Hiro's power on Heroes -- when he can stop everyone else in time and move around himself.

Lesley Livingston said...

Oh... I don't know... the "freezing time" thing reminds me of an old Twilight Zone ep.

I don't think it ended well... o.O

Of course - Twilight Zone NEVER ended well. Ignore me. Go ahead sleep in. You deserve it.

Anonymous said...

I remember the show, and Maureen, since you are a General Hospital fan, maybe you remember that Steve Burton (Jason Quartermaine) was the boyfriend on Out of This World!

Lisa Patton said...

Maureen, I remember back when I had little ones and got no sleep at all. It will get better. But yeah, I'd love to freeze time! I'd never be able to make up my mind, though, as to how far back I wanted to go!

Maureen Lipinski said...

Anon--I totally forgot about that! I wish they would release this show on DVD so I can prove it actually existed. Part of me thinks it was just a weird dream I had.

Tracy Madison said...

JOYE: Thank you so much for commenting!


Anon: I loved Jason Quatermaine!