Wednesday, January 20, 2010

What A Difference A Decade Makes

I love this week's topic. I'm not even sure who suggested it but here's a big huge thank you to my fellow brilliant Novel Girl.

Ten Years Ago I . . .

Worked as a personal assistant to a very talented singer/songwriter, Michael McDonald. He's the former lead singer of the Dobbie Brothers, you know "What A Fool Believes," "Taking it to the Streets," "I Keep Forgettin'."

Arrived in Los Angeles for a huge tribute concert for Michael. Yamaha Corporation, who makes a fantastic grand piano, honored Michael by producing a concert with all of his fellow musical friends and contemporaries. It was a dynamic evening with Ray Charles, Kim Carnes, Patti LaBelle, The Doobie Brothers, Jeff Bridges, Steve Windwood, Kenny Loggins, Christopher Cross, James Ingram and many more. In fact there's a video of the event floating around out there called "A Gathering of Friends." You can see me dancing at the very end of the show.

Juggled life, work, and raising two young boys who were 9 and 11 all by myself. Whew. Need I say anything more?

Moved two weeks earlier into a new home in a "neighborhood." My young sons had been begging me to move from our historic 120 year-old-home and move to a more kid-friendly place. It was a tough one for me since I love older homes but I've never regretted making them happy. Plus I moved in next door to my PIC and one of my very best friends in the world, Kathy "G" Peabody.

Wrecked an old boyfriend's sports car while on the way to the local Federal Express office to send him an overnight "Dear John" letter. Whoops, I won't go into more detail about that one for obvious "World Wide Web" reasons.

Had a hard time accepting my age. (What in the world was I worried about?)

Had a half-written manuscript called Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter that spent all its time in my drawer.

Spent the millennium New Year's Eve in the ER because I slammed the tailgate of my jeep onto my head.

Enjoyed a full ten days in Hawaii, jumping off cliffs, surfing, snorkling and making my sons happy. . . a nice, big perk of my job with Michael McDonald.

Missed all my girlfriends from Memphis as I still do - every single day.

Dared to dream of one day becoming a published author. Oh what a difference a decade makes.

2 comments:

Tracy Madison said...

I laughed and misted up over your post, Lisa. What awesome memories!

Maureen Lipinski said...

Lisa! I never knew you were such a rebel! :)