Friday, October 2, 2009

You don't have to be crazy...

But it damn-sure helps...

Only, I'll get to that in a minute. (the crazy, that is) First, however, a bit of business needs taking care of. I'm thrilled to announce the WINNER of last week's installment of The Novel Girls Blogoversary Super-Contest-o-Supreme-o celebrating the paperback launch of WONDROUS STRANGE
....... *insert drumroll here* ..........
ERICA!!!!!
*waves hands in the air like a muppet*
"YaaaaaaAAyyy!!" Your signed copy will be winging its way to you very soon! Enjoy!

Also, please join me in wishing Lisa Patton MASSIVE CONGRATULATIONS on the lauch of her debut novel, WHISTLIN’ DIXIE IN A NOR’EASTER, a book I simply cannot wait to read. If it's anywhere near as smart, funny and gorgeous as the author, herself, it cannot help but be brilliant!

And possibly crazy.

Just like this week's topic.

Possibly unsurprisingly, the craziest thing(s) I've ever done - almost without exception - have had something to do with my acting career. And, possibly also unsurprisingly (although maybe not), weren't usually my idea.
So. A brief list of some of the crazy:

I once played a boy on-stage in a production of Henry V; there was bloodshed and fighting and a really uncomfortable tensor bandage involved.
I've played Lady Macbeth, the First Witch and a Fighting Kern all in the same production of Macbeth; there was bloodshed and fighting and a really uncomfortable tensor bandage involved... also eight costume changes, wig and makeup re-dos, corn-syrup, food-coloring and a very silly hat.

I once knocked myself semi-unconcious in a blackout exit during a production of All's Well That Ends Well... there was definitely bloodshed that time, too. Only for real. And a makeup change -to re-draw my swelling lip. And re-staging the entire second half of the play on the fly so the audience wouldn't notice my blossoming bruises... you know - the show must go an and all that.

Then there was the time that I had to step into a lead role because the other actress had taken a pole-ax in the eye during fight call. Don't ask. I hadn't played the part in four years. No rehearsal. No script. No problemo (if you don't take into account the moments of sheer heart-stopping terror... but, hey - the audience, at least, never knew!).

Of course, the other time I had to step into a role like that, it was to play the French Princess in Henry V (yes, the same production where I was already playing the boy - talk about identity crisis!) and had about 2 hours to learn the lines. In Elizabethan French. And then a botched costume-change pre-set (from Dead English Boy to Live French Princess) resulted in me having to go outside the theatre and run like a maniac down a busy city street in broad daylight in nothing but boots, breeches and a blood-stained tensor bandage. Don't ask. Why I was not arrested, I'll never know.

Then there was the time that, while reclining in supposed death as the poor unfortunate Juliet in her tomb, I started sliding off the funeral bier - heading straight for the audience - and there was nothing I could do to stop myself.

And the memorable occasion when I had stomach flu and spent all the time between my Ophelia scenes barfing. No wonder Hamlet wanted nothing to do with me...

Okay.
Let's just put it plainly, then.
The craziest thing I ever did was... become an actor.
And it's been one long continuous bout of looney-tunes ever since.
Like they say... you don't have to be crazy to go into theatre...
But it damn sure helps!

Now don't forget to leave a comment and enter the Nove Girl contest! Details on the side-bar! You'd be nuts not to!

6 comments:

Doug A Scott said...

Ha! That was awesome!

I remember you telling me the replacing-poleaxed-Lady-Macbeth story and was hoping it would be included.

Erica said...

Yay :) I'm so excited.

Unknown said...

Hi :)
Those were some fun stories!
Thank you for sharing.
Most likely they weren't funny at the time, but they are in the retelling.
Are you a reader of Maureen Johnson? She's in the theater too. (YA author & on Twitter)
All the best,
RKCharron
xoxo

Paradox said...

Wow, 3 characters in Macbeth and 8 costume changes?! 0.0

Anonymous said...

"Then there was the time that I had to step into a lead role because the other actress had taken a pole-ax in the eye during fight call. Don't ask"

Yeah right,like I'm just going to let this story pass me by.What happend?

Danni said...

Congrats to the winner! You have a wonderful blog. :)