Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Lazy Passions

Hey there noble blog readers! I hope you all have had a chance to pick up Lesley's book, Wondrous Strange. It's beautifully written with exciting plot twists and some really neat mythology running through the story fabric. This week marks our party for the paperback release of the book.

So, if you missed the chance to enjoy this fab book in hardcover, make sure to pick it up in paperback! You won't be sorry, I promise!

And to celebrate, Lesley is giving away a signed paperback copy of Wondrous Strange! So, same rules apply this week. Leave a comment on any post this week to be entered. Look to the sidebar on the right for more ways to win. Also, everyone who comments will be entered to win a $100 Amazon gift card, to be given away at the end of the month!

As Tracy mentioned, Lesley picked the topic of "passions" for this week. And my passion is somewhat similar to Tracy's. But while I do enjoy cooking and eating more than I should, I'm going to focus on my passionate love of The Food Network in this post.

I write everyday when I put my son down for a nap. And as I'm type-type-typin' away (or, you know, staring at a blinking cursor), I always have The Food Network on in the background. There's something so comforting about watching Paula Deen add another stick of butter into a casserole or Rachael Ray say "E.V.O.O." It's all so predictable and inviting. And their dishes always look perfect, and they make it look so easy and totally do-able thanks to the soft music and precise editing.

For awhile, I tried to translate this passion into my own cooking, to very little success. I found that while I enjoyed watching other people make delicious risotto, I often either screwed it up, got bored or was so tired by the time I finished that all I wanted to do was order a pizza. Of course, that's not to say everything I made was a disaster--but it was nothing like the visceral experience of watching someone else cook and taste their food at the end of the show.

(Side note: It always cracks me up when the host tries their own creation at the end. They always say, "YUM! OMG!" As if they're going to be all, "Ew! Sick! This is awful! Don't try this one, folks!")

So, my passion, if you could call it that, is good food like Tracy.

I just want you to cook it for me.

7 comments:

cait045 said...

I would love to win a copy of wondrous strange.

+2 Already a follower

usignolc(at)yahooDOTcom

Erica said...

I would absolutely love to entered to win a pb copy of Wondrous Strange!

+2 I am already a follower

:) Erica
thebookcellar@wi.rr.com

Sena said...

+1 I would love to read this book! Have read wonderful reviews on it!!

+2 a follower

+2 tweeted: http://twitter.com/senaslc/status/4176762084

+3 points TNG on blog roll: http://senalovescandy.blogspot.com

+5 points for posting this contest on your blog: http://senalovescandy.blogspot.com/2009/09/goodies.html

sena.sagani [at] gmail [dot] com

Wendy said...

I used to watch those food shows all the time! It's so awesome seeing them make these yummy-looking dishes. :)

Count me in for the contest! :)

+2 already a follower
+3 added TNG to my blogroll.

- Wendy (omgitswendy at gmail dot com)

Anonymous said...

I loved watching the food network,but now we just have the sorry digital converter box,lol.I was obsessed with "Ace of Cakes" & "Guys Big Bite."

Follower & ya'll are on blog roll. :)

Brodie said...

When I was little I did want to become a chef one day (until I realised my cooking isn't that great!) and I had this huge toy kitchen centre with soo much play food. I used to watch cooking shows on the tv then run along to my kitchen centre and pretend I either had my own fancy cooking show or opened my own cafe. I had lots of fun and my stuffed toys ate enough of my creations to bust their tummies at the seams! :)

I would love to be entered to win a copy of Wondrous Strange! (And of course the amazon card... obviously LOL). New follower, linked on sidebar, added to blogroll.

Thanks!!
hanging.by.a.moment_@hotmail.com

Kristen said...

I still swear that cooking is in the genes. I can just do it and I'm not sure how. I haven't yet gotten to the experimenting stage.. but maybe one day I will. :)