Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Tiny Bubbles . . .

Calgon Take Me Away!

I'm in desperate need of a vacation. It's been way, waaaay too long. I hate this unfortunate fact, but what can I say - I have two sons in college. Well, I will next year . . . close enough, right? I'm talking - this girl needs a solid week, at least, of margarita sipping, pool dipping, and beach strolling. Oh let it be soon!

Over the years, I've been so very fortunate to have traveled to many wonderful destinations. Out of all of them - and this is a tough decision - but I think my absolute favorite place to travel would have to be Langdon, North Dakota.

April Fools! No offense to anyone in Langdon but I'm about as cold-natured as any girl you'll ever run across.

I once worked for a musician and have laid my head to rest in many a bus bunk. In fact, I almost fell out of a bus bunk one night on a winding road on the way up to Niagara Falls. That astounding place ranks high on my own list of wonders, no doubt, but it's hardly my favorite place to travel.

I reserve that pick for the one, the only . . . (close your eyes and dream with me now) Hawaii.

It's the perfect place to go if you're like me and crave adventure. Yes, this American island paradise keeps me very thirsty. I've jumped off cliffs, snorkeled among sea turtles, and bathed in hot spring pools heated by the active volcanoes on the Big Island. Twice I've left my hotel at 2:00 a.m. to watch the sunrise in a breathtaking spectrum of color over Haleakala crater in Maui. I've explored the rain forest on Kauai, even surfed the waves of Waikiki Beach. And the best part of all this is, nowhere did I have to pay an admission charge. Each attraction was absolutely free!



That's me, by the way, in mid-air. I have my friend Anne Marie to thank for getting the shot. It made my kids so proud . . . or embarrassed, I can't remember which!

I even took a hula dancing class, good for 2 credit hours, when my best friend and I spent the summer at the University of Hawaii, many a year ago. That, unfortunately, was not free.

I think I might even consider living there if it weren't for my fair skin. That's where I draw the line on island adventures. Even Hawaii is not worth the wrinkles!

2 comments:

Maureen Lipinski said...

I'm the same way with my skin! I got sun poisoning when I was in Hawaii a few years ago. Because, apparently, SPF 45 wasn't enough.

Not to mention, there was some strange natural occurance involving wind shift change, so when we went to the top of Haleakala, there were so many bugs we couldn't even see out of the car's windows. It was fascinating and freaky all at the same time!

Jillian Cantor said...

I've never been to Hawaii, but it's on my list of places I really want to visit!! It sounds like you had so much fun and adventure there :-)