Monday, March 2, 2009

My Favorite Literary Characters AND Winner of A Taste of Magic!

Ah...my favorite literary characters. This topic is one I could write forever on, but seeing as I don't have the time (and likely, you don't either), I'm going to list the first four that come to mind, in the order they come to mind. Ready? Here goes...

1. Scarlett from Gone With The Wind: Talk about being a multi-tasker! Not only is Scarlet beautiful (and more than a little spoiled), but she juggles kids, husbands, war, famine, a family business, and unrequited love. Call her what will you will, but this character had an impact on me, so it's no surprise I thought of her first.

2. Elizabeth Bennett from Pride & Prejudice: I adored Elizabeth the first time I read Pride & Prejudice and I still love her. She's spunky, says whatever she wants, and gets the guy in the end. What's not to love?

3. Bridget Jones from Bridget Jones Diary: Another spunky woman who gets her guy at the end, but she's also funny, sassy, heartbreaking, a little crazy, and well, let's just say I identified with her pretty much immediately.

4. Nancy Drew from The Nancy Drew Mysteries: Surprised you there, didn't I? Wow, I loved my Nancy. I wanted to be just like her when I grew up. Smart, brave, pretty, and she always solved the mystery!

As I look at the above list, other characters pop into my head: Frodo, Laura Ingalls-Wilder, Harry Potter, and Trixie Belden...and then more, and more, so it's a good thing I stopped at four! There are many characters I've laughed with, cried with, celebrated with, and truly felt as if I knew them in real life. For me, those are my favorites, because they live on well after the book is read. What about you? Who are some of your favorite characters and why?

NOW, the moment you've been waiting for! The winner of a signed copy of A Taste of Magic is...drumroll please...WRIGHTY! Huge congratulations, Wrighty! Send me an email at Tracy@TracyMadison.com with your address, and I'll get your copy sent out!

The winner of The September Sisters by Jillian Cantor is...oh, wait. You'll have to wait until Thursday, when Jillian makes the announcement! :) I'm about halfway through my copy of The September Sisters and all I can say is: whoever wins will be very happy to get this book in their hands!

Have a GREAT week everyone!

5 comments:

Maureen Lipinski said...

Love your choices--esp. Bridget Jones! One of my faves too!

Congrats to Wrighty! You are going to love the signed copy!

Jillian Cantor said...

I'm almost embarrased to say that I've never read Pride and Prejudice. But I'm with you on all the others!

And congrats, Wrighty! I'm half-way through the book now, and it's such a fun read!

Lisa Patton said...

Scarlett O'Hara Hamilton Kennedy Butler (I think that's all her names!)she is definitely my fave, too. I love her. In fact, I love your whole list. Bravo!!

Yes, Wrighty, congratulations. I bought my copy of Taste yesterday and I can't wait to dig in.

Lesley Livingston said...

Excellent choices!

And - CONGRATULATIONS WRIGHTY!!!

:-D

Tracy Madison said...

Maureen - Bridget is one of my favorites!

Jillian - Aw, thanks! I can't wait to hear what you think when you finish it. I should be finishing The September Sisters in he next day or so. It's such a great book!

Lisa - LOL! I couldn't for the life of me remember all of her names, and no way was I going to search them up.

Lesley - My daughter is reading Wondrous Strange now. She's loving it!