Monday, March 23, 2009

The Energy of Spring



The days are slowly warming, and though we might have another cold snap (or two) in Ohio, Spring has officially arrived.
When I think of Spring, I think of new beginnings. Flowers bloom, grass turns green, leaves burst out of tree branches, and the scent of the season is fresh and alive, almost energizing. And, frankly, that last part (the energizing thing) irritates the heck out of me.

Yep, you read that right. I'm an Autumn girl. I like the rain. I like cool, crisp days that beg for nothing more than curling up in a comfy chair with a blanket and a terrific book. Spring makes me want to DO things like clean the house, ramp up my exercise regimen, cook healthier meals, become more organized, etc. And because I'm really a lazy sort of girl, Spring just isn't my season.

I like having an excuse to be lazy, and let's be honest...Spring just doesn't offer up that many excuses I can grab on to. None of these work that well:
  • I can't wash the windows. Too much fresh air will get in the house. I might sneeze!
  • What? The car needs washed? But it's warm and sunshiny outside!
  • Hmm, I'd go for a walk and get some exercise, but the sidewalks are ice-free, so what fun is that?
  • Sorry kids, we can't go to the park today. There will be too many kids there to play with, what with the day being so nice and all!
See what I'm dealing with? Spring days tend to be beautiful days that beg for activity. Whereas cold fall days beg for hot soup, hot tea, cozy blankets, long movies, good books, and hibernating. And fall leads into winter, which begs for deeper hibernation.
I rather like hibernating.
But no, now with the warmer days, my brain will think up all these things that need doing. And if I don't do them, I'll feel guilty and the guilt will ruin any bit of laziness I try to get away with.
But I suppose if we didn't have Spring, I'd never do anything, and...well, that wouldn't be so hot, either. So with that thought in mind, here are my top ten things I like about Spring:
10. The flowers. I really do love seeing flowers bloom all over the place.
9. The sense of a new beginning, and that everything has a cycle.
8. Windows being open. All that fresh air is nice after months of a closed-off house.
7. Lighter jackets, and eventually, no need for coats at all.
6. My electric / gas bill is the cheapest all year.
5. Hiding Easter baskets in really difficult places so my kids have to search extra hard.
4. I can sit outside with my laptop to write.
3. The sound of birds singing through the newly opened windows.
2. Three of my four children's birthdays are in May.
1. It's only two seasons away from Autumn.
Happy Spring everyone!

2 comments:

Jillian Cantor said...

Tracy, this is funny! I'm kind of the opposite when it comes to spring -- since I've been living in the desert, spring is when the weather starts to turn a little too hot for my taste, and when I'm ready to start hibernating for the summer. Fall is when I usually get the urge to open my windows and clean!

Maureen Lipinski said...

Brrr...spring in Chicago is Not. Warm. Enough.