Saturday, December 13, 2008

That Song Will Be Stuck in My Head All Day!

As I began to come up with a list of things that I like this morning, My Favorite Things from the The Sound of Music instantly began to creep inside my brain, and for the last three hours I haven't been able to get the words out of my head. That's actually something I don't like...songs that you can't stop thinking about or singing. A few years ago there was a Capital One commercial where an annoying song played over and over again...hands in my pocket, hands in my pocket. For about a year that song was stuck inside my subconscious. I would catch myself doing little things around the house singing it to myself.

As I sit and type this on my computer, I am watching my poor neighbour shovel his driveway in freezing cold, sideways blowing snow, whipping your face at 100 mph, tongue sticking to jacket zipper weather. That is another thing I hate...snow! It's hard to sometimes come up with the "happy" thoughts when you are knee deep (literally) in yuck! Despite my bummer of a mood, I'm going to do my best to pull out a few favorites, starting with the most obvious.

1. My kids and husband. Even in the bleakest of blahs, they are my five favorite people to be around.

2. My mom and her ridiculous sayings. I love my mother dearly, but on regular occasions she butchers the English language. Though I'm sure it bugs her to be laughed at, it's hard not to chuckle when she says things like: "That guy was sure rocking the cradle" when referring to a man dating a younger woman. Or one of my favorites: "Look, furry ostriches!" when driving past a field full of lamas. And a more classic one: "She's going to Hell in a milk carton." I'm not exactly sure where the milk carton part came from, but it was the effort that counted.

3. Seeing people fall on ice in the winter. I know this may seem mean, and I'm not into watching elderly or very small children fall because that's not funny, but have a young man or woman, or better yet an obnoxious teenager bite it and I'm thoroughly amused.

4. Funny sketch comedy. SNL recently did a spoof on the inventor of the Breath Rite Strips. The skit caught me off guard, and was quite funny and had me giggling for quite a while. If you go to YouTube and type in Gas Rite Strips you should find it. It's about flatulence, in case you are sensitive to farting humor.

5. Words. Words that get stuck in your head for no apparent reason. I will wake up in the morning sometimes and have a word in my head. I don't know why, but it's always quite amusing. The other day it was onomatopoeia and a few weeks before that it was discombobulated.

6. Fooling my children. As a parent there is nothing more fun than pulling the wool over your children's eyes. I once convinced my son that his teacher had called us and told us that he had to attend a weekend school session. He would be there for the whole day and that she was trying it out to see if it was something she was going to add to his regular five day school week. We got him dressed and made him a lunch and walked him up to the school. As he stood there looking around wondering where all the other kids were, we told him it was a joke. What makes it the best is that he hates school and was tortured to think he was going to have to attend school on the weekend!

7. Mail. I love getting mail. It's a weird one, but it's true. We've actually gone an entire week without even getting a bill in the mail and that bugs me.

8. Sneaking a piece of dessert from the fridge before everyone else.

Of course I have many more things that I like and could drone on about, but suffice to say most things in my life give me joy and happiness. I am very fortunate.

1 comment:

Maureen Lipinski said...

I'm weird about the mail, too! I get, like, unreasonably pissed if my husband brings the mail in before me!