Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Who's speaking?

Hi NG Followers,

I've just arrived in Atlanta. I've been driving for several hours now! The reason for the trip is that I have a signing at the Barnes and Noble in Buckhead. It starts at 7:00 P.M tonight and if any of you live close, I'd love to see you there! I'll be in Knoxville, Tennessee tomorrow night at the Turkey Creek Borders.

Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter is written in first person narrative. Like Maureen, that POV comes the most natural to me. I never considered writing the novel any other way. I will say this. It has its challenges. For instance, in first person the protagonist has to be careful about what she says and the opinions she expresses. The reason is she runs the risk of turning off the reader. And after all, our goal as writers is to create a sympathetic heroine.

One of the drawbacks of first person POV is that all of the emotions of the other characters are left up to the opinion of the protagonist - or through the dialogue and body language. The readers are never fully aware of how the other characters are feeling.

I am looking forward to trying third person narrative with my third book. But for now I'm concentrating on book number two, which is a sequel to Whistlin' Dixie. And between writing that one, working at my day-job and traveling to promote Whistlin' Dixie, I've got just about as much as I can possibly handle.

Hope everyone is having a great week!

1 comment:

Maureen Lipinski said...

Hope you're able to come up for air soon!