Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I Will Be Thankful If My Son Sleeps At All This Weekend

I completely concur with Tracy. Thanksgiving was, like, two months ago, right? Sigh. It's hard to believe that at this time last year, I was still waiting for A Bump in the Road to come out and for my agent's notes on Not Ready for Mom Jeans. In fact, it's strange to think that none of us Novel Girls had a book out yet. And now we're all embroiled in the fun balancing act that comes with promoting one book, writing another, copyediting a third, and so on.

This year for Thanksgiving, my husband and I are packing up the old Ford Explorer and hauling our two-year-old and dog down to Cincinnati, Ohio to visit the inlaws. I've been looking forward to the 24/7 help with childcare, I must admit. (Although I'd be much more excited if my son hadn't recently learned how to get out of a pack-and-play, which should make those four days pretty...sleepless.)

Thanksgiving is late this year, so it feels strange to celebrate it and then have it be December the following week. Not to be delayed, all of the stores around here have already put all of their Christmas decorations and presents out. And our local radio station has already started playing Christmas music 24/7. I'm loving it now, although ask me in two weeks if my ears are bleeding from hearing Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime" eleventy billion times.

And since I just turned in my acknowledgements and dedication for Mom Jeans, I'm in a thankful mood. So here is a brief list of things that, in 2009, I am thankful for:

1. Writing full-time: A true blessing in disguise, the ability to not split my focus between writing, a day job and my toddler has been the most wonderful gift. Whenever things are a bit difficult, like when my son won't take a nap or has a meltdown in a public place, I remind myself that everyday, I get to do things that I love--spend time with my family and my writing. And that, my friends, is worth a little public embarrassment.

2. My family and friends: If nothing else, holidays and social outings always provide me with good book material and tons of laughs. Their love and support always keeps me laughing and confident.

3. My fellow writers: This past year has been an orientation into the writing world, and I couldn't have done it without the support and camaraderie of my fellow writers, especially The Novel Girls! Writing is fun, publishing is not always. It's so great to have a support system of people who truly "get it."

Now, I could go into a list of things I am NOT thankful for, like the Chicago Bears football team this year, but we'll just end on a positive note, OK?

1 comment:

Tracy Madison said...

What a lovely post!

I love Cincinnati...I hope your Thanksgiving was awesome (and that you got some sleep!)