Thursday, October 22, 2009

My Wishlist!

Like Maureen, I’m finishing up a draft this week, and also like Maureen, I don’t usually read other books while I’m writing. That doesn’t mean there aren’t books I want to read, and even possibly, um, already may have sneaked in a few pages of (because that huge pile on my night table is just so tempting!) So as soon as I finish revising up this draft in the next few weeks, I’m definitely tackling that TBR pile!

First up is Lisa’s book Whistlin’ Dixie in a Nor’easter. I read the first few chapters the afternoon it arrived from Amazon, and I can’t wait to read the rest. For now, I have it on the top of the pile just so I can stare at the gorgeous cover every time I walk by!

Then I’ve got Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella. I bought this on impulse when I was in Target with my son, and I also already read the first few chapters when I first brought it home. It looks like a really fun, modern ghost story/women’s fiction book, and I can’t wait to read the rest.

I put A Gate at the Stairs by Lorrie Moore on my Kindle the day it came out, and also, yeah, you guessed it, read the first chapter right then and there. Lorrie Moore is my writing idol, part of the reason I decided I wanted to become a writer. Her use of language is always so engaging, that I feel like I learn something new about writing every time I read something by her. Can’t wait to savor this one.

After I tackle the books I’ve already started, there’s a few I want to read that I haven’t even bought yet: Going Bovine by Libba Bray (I’ve read so many good things about this book, and it sounds different than anything else out there) and Liar by Justine Larbalestier (I love the concept of an unreliable narrator). I also want to get The Best American Short Stories 2009 (I love this anthology every year!) and like Lisa, I still haven’t read The Time Traveler’s Wife, but I’ve been meaning to for years now. And now that I've looked at the rest of some of the other Novel Girls' lists, I'm realizing I also have to add Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford, The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe, and Family Affair by Caprice Crane.

Now, if only this draft would revise itself, so I could curl up and dig in (and have the time to read past the first few chapters!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

--"Now, if only this draft would revise itself, so I could curl up and dig in "

You and me both.LOL.