Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Leaves Crunch Crunchin'

My husband refers to Autumn as "football season." For him, September-October-November mean hooded sweatshirts, chili and the NFL. For me, it means apple cider, herb tea, beef stew, pumpkin farms and my favorite holiday: Halloween.

Although I'm always sad to see summer go (especially this year, since my son is a toddler and playing outside is the best activity for letting out some of that crazy energy), Fall always brings a kind of anticipation and child-like quality out in me. Maybe it's because as a kid, my grandparents would take me apple picking at an orchard each year. Or maybe it's because Fall is always synonymous with a new school year--new opportunities, friendships, teachers.

I love this quote by Sue Grafton: "I've never known anyone yet who doesn't suffer a certain restlessness when autumn rolls around...We're all eight years old again and anything is possible."

She says it much better than I ever could!

Each year, when winter rolls around, I whine and complain to my husband that we need to move south. Winter in Chicago lasts from about November-March--a good chunk of the year. And while I would certainly love beach weather every day, I think I would really miss this time of year. I can't imagine living somewhere where the leaves don't change color and the air doesn't have that jagged edge of crispness that promises to bring bone-chilling weather in just a few short months.

Just yesterday, I was in the middle of a particularly harrowing chapter of my work-in-progress. I hemmed and hawed over a particularly difficult character development, getting frustrated with each word I typed.

Then, suddenly, I heard faint voices out my window. I leaned over and peeked out and saw school-children getting off the bus, their feet crunch-crunching on the dried leaves scattered around the sidewalk. In their arms they carried pumpkins, ready for the carving. I smiled and remembered the kid-like joy of falling leaves and jack-o-lanterns. And then I turned back to my computer.

And you know what? That chapter turned out pretty good.

Oh, and congrats again to Parisa for winning the $100 Amazon gift card! Parisa, if you could please email us at thenovelgirls@gmail.com. Thanks again to everyone who participated!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

--"My husband refers to Autumn as "football season." For him, September-October-November mean hooded sweatshirts, chili and the NFL."

Dude me and your hubbers could be twins.I'm just saying...though I'm the female twin.Buah ahahaha.