Tuesday, May 5, 2009

My Day! My Day!

I know I've mentioned before that I have a big extended family. Every holiday, including Mother's Day, we were expected to troop between like six different places to visit everyone. And that was fine, because I didn't yet have a voice in the family, so I really had no choice anyway.

But now? That I'm an adult, married and have my own kid? Things are a'changin'.

There was a bit of early discussion this year about trying to "fit in" visits to everyone on Mother's Day. Which I, now that I can officially be "celebrated" that day, quickly put the kibosh on. Because there's no way my toddler son will last through brunch, a visit to someone's house and a dinner. That's two restaurants, people. His meltdown clock is about five minutes long, meaning that we only have five minutes before the shrieking and flailing.

So, for Mother's Day this year, I look forward to sleeping in. Oh God, YES! I haven't been snuggled into my comfy bed past 8am in way too long. Then, I'll get up, have a cup of coffee and watch trashy reality shows that I've DVRed--without any protest from my husband. Which means he'll be forced to watch hours of The Hills and all of Vh1's spring lineup. Woo Hoo! Maybe I'll even go get a pedicure!

But, seriously. It'll be nice to have a day when I can just relax and do whatever I choose. This weekend my husband was out of town at the Kentucky Derby. He and a bunch of his friends all went down south and partied it up, adult spring break style, for three days. I was left to wrangle my son and our very high-maintenance dog. After about twelve hours of feeding the dog, filling up sippy cups, picking up Cheerios off the ground, chasing my son when he took his diaper off, sweeping up kitty litter, etc. I realized that my entire weekend was going to be spent doing things for everyone else but myself.

And that was OK, but I'm ready for a break.

Like Tracy, I too, would like to say thanks to my mom. And apologize for being such a pain in high school! :)

2 comments:

Jillian Cantor said...

Sounds like a fun day. I'm hoping I'll get to sleep in, too!

Tracy Madison said...

Oooh sleeping in sounds nice. Enjoy your day!