Monday, March 16, 2009

The Luck of the Irish


I didn't grow up in a household where St. Patrick's day was celebrated. Well, except for the year where we had corned beef and cabbage for dinner, and my mother, hoping to convince my brother to eat, went on and on about how she'd made it special for St. Patrick's Day. I'm not sure if she really did. Likely, the grocery store had a special that week because of St. Patrick's Day, and that's why she made it for dinner. :)

Even so, I loved the idea of St. Patrick's Day. Not that I knew much about it, other than I was supposed to wear green clothes, and that the day was a Irish holiday. But that didn't stop me from joining in at school, with my friends, and later -- at the bars on St. Patrick's Day weekends guzzling green beer. Okay, I've never guzzled beer. I'm pretty much a lightweight with alcohol, green or not, but somehow the idea of "green" beer just seemed to cool to me.

Now, with kids of my own, we don't actually celebrate St. Patrick's Day, either. But I could definitely offer corned beef and cabbage up for dinner one night, and no one would blink an eye. Mostly because my kids happen to love corned beef, so for them, any excuse to have it will work. But that doesn't mean I can't get into the spirit of St. Patrick's Day, because I definitely can. I happen to love just about everything Irish, and the thought of visiting Ireland someday gives me chills (in a good way), so I went searching for some cool St. Patrick's Day stuff. Here's what I found:


The Chicago River – dyed green in 2008 to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. Apparently they do this every year!

A great video on the Trinity Irish Dancers:


And news coverage of the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Dublin, Ireland:


Regardless of how you celebrate St. Paddy's Day -- I hope you have one filled with the Luck of the Irish!

5 comments:

Maureen Lipinski said...

Yes, we DO dye the river green every year! Being Irish and from Chicago means I'm pretty much required to treat St. Paddy's day as a federal holiday!

Lisa Patton said...

Love this, Tracy. Love the Irish dancers, the parade, the green river. Makes me in the spirit!

Jillian Cantor said...

Hmm, the green river makes me nervous. How do they make it green?

Maureen Lipinski said...

Jill--

They actually use orange dye to make it green. Weird, I know.

It goes away after a couple of days.

Lesley Livingston said...

Thanks for all the cool stuff in this post. I love the green river shot (and the thought of all those terribly confused fish...)