Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Shhhh...Don't Tell Anyone

I have a confession: I sort of hate Valentine's Day.

OK, well hate is kind of a strong word, so...nevermind, I'll stick with hate.

I guess it all stems from the fact that I would never describe myself as a romantic. Sure, I appreciate romantic gestures like flowers, but I also appreciate things like my husband doing the laundry and taking out the trash, too. So, Valentine's Day has always just seemed like a lot of pressure for a couple who is just as happy sharing a cheeseburger, fries and a few beers as a romantic ten-course meal.

Another example? For our wedding anniversary last year, my husband and I celebrated by going to a Cubs game. And I gotta say, it was the greatest of celebrations. Us, 40,000 screaming fans, hot dogs, peanuts and a few cold ones. My idea of a great summer day!

So I guess the moral in all of this is that love and romance can be whatever you want it to be. I my opinion, it doesn't always have to be balloons, candelight, and heart-shaped cookies. It can simply be coming home to a clean house, a good movie, a nice bottle of wine and sweatpants.

3 comments:

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

Going to a Cubs game is the best way to celebrate!! That's the thing I miss the most about living in Chicago-watching it on TV isn't nearly as fun-or romantic.
-Sarah

Jillian Cantor said...

I agree. I think the best "romance" is the kind that's personal to you!

Lisa Patton said...

Cute post, Maureen. You and your husband seems like a lot of fun!