Monday, December 29, 2008

Resolutions? Really?

I quit making New Year's resolutions years ago. Like maybe a decade ago. It's not that there's nothing in my life I want to work on (because there definitely is), and it's not that I don't think resolutions are important (because I do). It's more that I think New Year's resolutions don't work...at least for me.

If I want to make a change, the worst thing I can do is wait until January 1st to begin making that change. Well, unless I've just decided on this new direction sometime at the end of December...then MAYBE I could see waiting until 1/1 to begin a plan of action. But I've learned that all January 1st means to me (as far as resolutions go) is yet another way to procastinate.

And trust me, I am an expert at procrastinating. Therefore, my "New Year's resolution" many years ago was to have no more "New Year's resolutions." Instead of facing the new year with a list of things I want to accomplish, I think about what I already accomplished in the prior year, and I celebrate those things.

That's not to say I don't have things I want to accomplish in 2009, becuase of course I do. But they're nothing new, nothing I've held on to waiting for January 1st to arrive...they're long-term goals I've been systematically working on, one at a time...and I will continue to do so in 2009. I'm sure new goals will be born in the next year, and when they are, I'll begin working on them. So, when 2010 comes calling, I can take a look at 2009 and celebrate.

So as 2008 comes to a close, I'm celebrating the year. Twelve months of family, friends, work, laughter, tears, surprises, dreams, hugs, and so much more. It is definitely a year to remember.

Happy New Year! I wish all of you only the best for 2009.

_________

On another note...Wondrous Strange? It is amazing! And beautiful! And I need to get back to it...now! :)

On yet another note: If there are errors in this post, please forgive them. My family has been battling the flu since Christmas Day. I'm a little out of it...but I think we're all on the mend, or at least close to it.

5 comments:

Fyrewytche said...

This is why we get along so well! I too, resolved to make no more New Year's Resolutions years ago.

I hope you and your family all get well soon, don't want the kids wasting the whole winter bread being sick!

Fyrewytche said...

Break, not bread, sorry!

Jillian Cantor said...

Good resolution logic, Tracy! I haven't made resolutions in years either. Hope you and your family are feeling better!

Maureen Lipinski said...

Hope you're feeling better!

Lesley Livingston said...

I like your style!

And - hey - what're the holidays without a good old fashion flu-bug to share around the family?

Feel better soon!

(So glad you're enjoying the read!)